Osaka Castle Park
The construction of Osaka Castle (大阪城,
Ōsakajō) started in 1583 on the former site of the Ishiyama
Honganji Temple, which had been destroyed by Oda Nobunaga
thirteen years earlier. Toyotomi Hideyoshiintended the castle to
become the center of a new, unified Japan under Toyotomi rule.
It was the largest castle at the time.
However, a few years after Hideyoshi's death, Tokugawa troops attacked and destroyed the castle and terminated the Toyotomi lineage in 1615. Osaka Castle was rebuilt by Tokugawa Hidetada in the 1620s, but its main castle tower was struck by lightening in 1665 and burnt down.
It was not until 1931 that the present ferro-concrete reconstruction of the castle tower was built. During the war it miraculously survived the city wide air raids. Major repair works gave the castle new glamor in 1997. The castle tower is now entirely modern on the inside and even features an elevator for easier accessibility. It houses an informative museum about the castle's history and Toyotomi Hideyoshi.